Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dear Wendy...

Wendy, I watched my kids ride bikes and play with cousins yesterday which forced me to think back on those times from my own childhood that I shared with you. Playing for hours on end in "the deep," dressing Tootles in doll clothes, cuddling with and getting pooped on by the newest litter of puppies, walking through canals, sleeping on the trampoline, etc. I laugh when I think about the tick that your mom found in your belly button that you so proudly displayed for years in your room and me, wondering what in the world is a tick? I now know. :)
The feeling of independence that I had when we rode bikes to Country Corners for the first time to get treats is something I'll never forget. I loved riding on the handlebars of your girly bike with the pink seat, waving to the neighbors and cars as they drove by us. I, however, was too short to see over your shoulder and ride the bike at the same time (and I'm sure I lacked the coordination that you seemed to have). I think we even tried to have you sit on the handlebars, be my eyes and tell me where to go as I rode the bike. To no avail, I just couldn't swing it. That didn't ever matter to you. True to "Wendy" fashion, you never complained about riding the bike and letting me ride on the handlebars just like you never complained about being the dad when we played house or letting me have the better flavored popsicle from the freezer in the garage. That was SO you.
I love you and miss you,
Erin

1 comment:

  1. I loved it Erin. The way you described everything, I felt like I was right there in the deep playing with you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete